John Singer Sargeant – „Birthday”
- Idea of the project: Exploring the life and work of the artist, historical period, typical dishes and arranging the event
- Objectives: Knowledge of food during the period of Impressionism – dishes, condiments and beverages. Upgrade knowledge and skills obtained in the classes of theory and practice.
|Skills of 21st century||Skills for learning and technology skills||Teaching methods and techniques (strategies)||Indicators of achievement|
|Information and communication||1. To recognize the food stuffs
2. To carry out the selection of food stuffs.
3. To purchase food stuffs and other facilities needed for the kitchen.
4. To store the food stuffs.
5. To prepare menus.
6. To operate rationally and safely with the technological equipment in the kitchen
7. To prepare meals for special occasions
8. To organize the activities in the kitchen
Ø role games.
– Filling the table with organoleptic qualities of the sets;
– Scheme of the reconstituted assortment;
– Evaluation after tasting.
Preparing a bid for birthday
Organization of work arrangement of the room
|Reasoning skills||1. Acquaintance with technology of the assortments for the event
2. Basic concepts – menu for the birthday, offer, management of the event
3. Selection of the necessary raw materials and equipment
4.Weight of the finished products, aesthetic appearance.
6. Eye for aesthetics.
7. Satisfaction with the work done.
|Ø Development of lessons
|– Preparing a bid for birthday
– Scheme of arrangement
|Personality skills and skills in the workplace.||1. Compliance with labor and technological discipline.
2. Organize the work and allocate tasks.
3. Combine the components of the dishes.
4. Prevent wastage of food.
5. To make the calculation.
6. To know how to replace basic products with similar ones.
To learn: Typical dishes for the period, condiments and beverages. Technology of making sets for birthday /cake, sandwiches, snacks/.
To do: Students are divided into two groups. On each of them products are distributed depending on the task. The groups consist of four students and each of them has a position certain from the teacher . They are :
- assistant chef
- organizer of the event
The student assigned to a chef selects the required products for the preparation of the assortments and oversee the implementation of each step of the technology. Assistant chef prepares range under the guidance of the chef. The student assigned to kitchen assistant takes care of production and personal hygiene of the group members and the workplace.
Evaluation: Evaluation card.
Main group products: flour, dairy products, fruits
Main individual products: dough, bread, yellow cheese, sausage.
Evaluation and reporting of the results:
The students arranged a special table for organizing a birthday party with the necessary utensils, cups and tablecloths. They make a special decoration for the occasion. The chefs of both guppies describe the technology of products prepared by the groups and their relationship with the picture of John Sargent “Birthday Party”. The teacher supplement or correct students if they are made mistakes, review prepared bids and monitor the work. Students are in the role of chefs and organizers of catering event, combining the knowledge of theory and practice. The teacher evaluates students’ work group.
Teamwork, critical thinking, problem solving (replacing key products with similar ones), oral communication, evaluation card.
Other methods of evaluation:
Observation, Study, discussion, blog.
Map of the project: “ Birthday Party “
Recipe: Chocolate cake
- chocolate – 200 г
- butter – 200 г
- eggs – 5 броя
- flour – 1 ч.ч.
- sugar – 1 ч.ч.
- vanilla – one liquid capsule
- chocolate – liquid for spreads
Melt over low heat the broken pieces of chocolate and butter in a deep pan in a water bath. Then remove from heat, add the sugar and stir until a homogeneous mixture.
Wait to cool down and start adding the eggs. Stir constantly, then add the flour and liquid vanilla.
Pour the mixture into the pan and put it to bake in a preheated 190 degrees oven for about 20-25 minutes.
After removing the cake, turn it on a platter and cut the blat into 2 parts using a thread. Dab with chocolate between the two parts of the blat, and then the whole cake.
Optionally you can make decorations using a syringe.
Recipe: Mini sandwiches
- baguette 2 pcs.
- yellow cheese – 400 grams
- smoked cheese – 200 g
- melted cheese – 200 g.
- flat sausage – 250 g.
- smoked meat – 300 g.
- ham – 250 гр.
- margarine spreads – 2 boxes
Garnish: tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, pepper, parsley, olives
There are also different types of sandwiches with bread pad, sausage, cheese and other decorations.
Учебни материали и оборудване:
Технологични схеми, рецептурник, оценъчна карта.
Management of the learning process:
- Preliminary preparation.
- Technological cards, clothing, necessary raw materials and equipment;;
- Methods (demonstration, discussion, explanation, role-playing game).
- Introductory part.
- Consolidation of the acquired knowledge and skills in theory.
- The main part..
All groups performed their task..
- Conclusion – student assessment:
- Schemes of prepared assortments;
EVALUATION OF THE PROJECT::
- Biography of John Singer Sargent;;
- Creativity of the artist;
- Traditions and habits in American cuisine;
- Cooking dishes from the period of Impressionism
- Aesthetic arrangement of dishes;
- Rules for the safe work of the student;
- Compliance and personal hygiene in the workplace;
- The quality of finished products.
- Formation of moral qualities;
- To know how to organize its work and allocate tasks;;
- To combine components;
- To prevent wastage of food